Employment type: Full Time
Pay range: $50000 – $56000 USD per year
This position can be structured in one of two ways:
1) For a qualified candidate with expertise and interest in grant writing, the position will be a 40-hour-per-week position, with a salary range of $50,000 – $56,000 annually.
2) For the candidate without grant expertise or interest, this position will be a 30-hour-per-week position, with a salary range of $37,500 – $42,000 annually. A separate grant writer will also be hired.
Soundscapes is a nonprofit youth development organization in Southeastern Virginia that uses music instruction and performance to develop life skills in students from early childhood to early adulthood. The organization provides daily afterschool music programs, a regional youth orchestra, and summer camps.
The Development Director leads a comprehensive philanthropy program to secure donations from individuals, foundations, corporations, and government sources through special events, annual and multi-year campaigns, grants, and the cultivation and solicitation of major and planned gifts. Soundscapes is in a period of growth and the ideal candidate will be eager to build the fundraising program in order to meet the increasing demands for resources.
• Design and implement a plan to raise at least $800,000 annually.
• Serve alongside the Executive Director and board members in representing the organization throughout the community to build a strong network of support.
• Build and maintain long-term relationships with individual donors, foundations, corporations, and public officials.
• Oversee the development of fundraising materials including fundraising appeals, a case for support, outreach emails, event materials and other support documentation.
• Design and execute fundraising events, including a gala, golf tournament, and donor appreciation reception.
• Direct or participate in negotiations for complex, high profile, or sensitive gift agreements.
• Serve on the organization’s executive team and contribute to the effective management of the program.
• Lead, inspire, and manage the Communication & Development Coordinator and future members of the
• Identify grant funding opportunities and write all applications (OPTION 1) OR supervise a grant writer (OPTION 2).
• Bachelor’s degree and 5 years related experience preferred.
• Proven skills and experience securing major gifts, managing fundraising events with high net revenue, and running successful annual and multi-year fundraising campaigns.
• Experience building and maintaining long-term relationships with individuals, foundations, and corporations.
• Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively through conversations, presentations, and writing.
• Experience planning and managing budgets.
• Management and supervising experience.
• Strong computer skills, to include Microsoft Office Suite, Google Workspace, and donor management software (Little Green Light preferred).
• Appreciation of music and an understanding of its value.
• Experience securing grants is required for the 40-hour-per-week version of this position (OPTION 1).
Soundscapes Administrative Offices11009 Warwick Blvd
Newport News, VA 23601
November 4, 2021
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Soundscapes, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer
As such, we are interested in candidates who are committed to high standards of knowledge, performance, and professionalism and to the development of a climate that supports equality and diversity in our staff and student community. Job description requirements are representative, but not all-inclusive of the knowledge, skill, and abilities needed to successfully perform the position. reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse background, beliefs, and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability statuses, sexual orientations, gender identities, military, protected veteran statuses, or other statuses protected by law.
Successful applicants must meet the requirements of Soundscapes, Inc.’s background screening process.